Sunday 16 March 2014

4Minute's "오늘 뭐해 (Whatcha Doin' Today?)" doesn't take itself seriously and I love it



So our ladies of 4Minute just released their MV for "Whatcha Doin' Today" and it is pretty much everything the teasers promised us. It's sexy - probably too much for some of our Korean friends which I can already picture going crazy and slut-shaming for our entertainment - but not in a too provocative way.
Everything is fun and not taken too seriously like one may expect, you have to watch this MV with that in mind.



Amongst others it gives us some gems like Gayoon unleashing her inner lesbian (again) and slapping a (female) dancer's butt

If you say you didn't enjoy that you're lying


and Jihyun thinking those two guys are fighting over her only for them to star making out.
"Damnit not again. Are there no straight boys left in South Korea?"


I want to complain to the coordis though because Sohyun and Gayoon were given some pretty unflattering hairstyles.

"Bitch, wait 'till I get a hold of your hair."
But Sohyun was redeemed later.



Hyuna looked better than she has for the past year though, with her short black hair.

Be mesmerized

Look at that cutie.

Awwwwwwwww


Jiyoon looks nice too, it seems like the coordis have finally given up on trying to force the "boyish" image on her and she finally gets to have longer hair again.

Slaying all Oppas with her sexiness


Jihyun doesn't get any weird outfits (at least not weirder than the others) this time around, plus she gets a bit more screentime than she had in "What's Your Name" and "Is It Poppin'" so I bet she's happy. I know I am.
Candy ain't got nothing on her


As for the song, I am positively surprised as it doesn't remind me of any previous Brave Brothers song, which is impressive. Then again, I'm not familiar with all of his work, so I might be mistaken.
It has a funky disco sound to it, but not in a bad way.

오늘 뭐해

Maknae Sohyun gets the first part again, opening the song with slightly improved vocals, slowly getting rid of the dead-weight etiquette some people have tried to glue to her.



We get Jiyoon to show us her rap skills again and I love it.




She shares them rap parts with Hyuna who has lat her chipmunk voice go out to Gangnam with PSY again for the greatest pleasure of our ears.



Jihyun as usual gets only a very small part but she doesn't disappoint on it so I guess that's good enough. Plus I have a feeling it's a bit longer than what she usually gets. Wooo.



And finally Gayoon seems to dominate this song, which doens't bother me really, because her vocals are pleasant to listen to and she pulls of some nice high notes.




Overall I give the MV 4 paws out of 5 for being entertaining and colourful in a non-kitschy way, but lacking a solid storyline (or any storyline for that matter). Then again, this is a K-Pop MV.
The song gets 4 paws out of 5, as I have been listening to it for almost an hour now and am still not tired of it. It's pretty catchy and I can already picture our owner humming it non-stop for the next few days.

Whatcha mean it's over already?

~Coco

gifs all from tumblr yo

No comments:

Post a Comment